Ads 468x60px

Winners of the Website Ideas Contest - DailyBlogTips

Winners of the Website Ideas Contest - DailyBlogTips


Winners of the Website Ideas Contest

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 06:06 AM PDT

A couple of weeks ago I launched a contest where readers needed to comment with an idea for a website they wanted to launch. The prize was a paid-up hosting account for 3 years to develop said website. Below you’ll find the winners and their respective ideas (if you are one of them you’ll receive an email from me later today):

Winner 1: Michael P.

I'm a person who believes that learning new things can greatly improve a person's life. I don't just want to create a new site where people can learn new things; in my experience learning how to learn is important too.

Sometimes our schools teach students what to learn — they advise students to study hard. But, not all students has learned how to study effectively. There are various methods which can help students (or any person) learn more effectively, such as these:

-Use of mnemonics to aid in encoding, storage, and then retrieval of information.

-Knowledge of self-development concepts like state control, relaxation techniques, and visualization to help the student in making themselves feel better (important in high-pressure situations like final exams).

-Techniques on how to study reading material, such as books and journals, effectively by using techniques like speed reading and effective note taking.

-Learning concepts like the Pareto Principle (80/20 rule), so the student can prioritize the material that he/she will study, while maximizing results at the same time.

-How to use the internet effectively to aid studying. For example, an online text-to-speech program which turns text to an mp3 file — which is then played on an MP3 player, can greatly assist in reviewing material.

Those are just some of the ideas I can think of for now. But if you ask me on what technique can help a student greatly (to use the Pareto Principe, the 20% that brings 80% of the results), that would be mnemonics. So, I would like to start with that if I'll be given the chance to start a new website about learning.

Aside from teaching the students mnemonic techniques, like the link method, method of loci, and peg system, it would also be cool if students can practice those technique using a web-based app or a local offline program. I know some programming, so I think I can create some of those.

If I would visualize the site, it would have primarily articles or blog posts, written by me or people who might also be interested in helping students learn. Then, it will have some online tests where they can practice the techniques they have learned.

If the site would further grow, then, it may support having personalized accounts, where users can:

  • Bookmark articles or tests that they like.
  • View past test results.
  • Join groups who are interested in learning a certain subject matter.
  • Share useful information with other students via links or posts.
  • Unlock achievements (to borrow concepts from video games)

Winner 2: Hannah

Hello! My name is Hannah, and I am a freelance writer who resides in the United Kingdom. For a while now, I have been thinking about creating a blog promoting responsible pet ownership, focusing mainly on dogs and cats. Prior to writing, I worked at an animal rescue for almost half a decade so I have plenty of experience in this field and a lot of knowledge to share. My blog would include in-depth information on health and nutrition, training and behaviour, and so forth, along with the odd product review and updates on my own dogs: Finley, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross Rottweiler, and Darwin, a Miniature Dachshund.

I think a blog like this would be popular because, well, everyone loves animals, right? I have done extensive research within this niche and feel that there is definitely a place for this kind of blog. Most pet blogs are either written from the perspective of dog or cat instead of a person, or promote toys, food and treats full of cereals and other nasties that could be seriously detrimental to your pets health.

I feel that I could really make a difference within the pet community.

Winner 3: Gaurav Singh Gahlain

I am from India and it is a country hard hit by corruption. I would love to create a website where people can come and share their views about the corruption in their region. While being anonymous, users can put evidences like photos and videos on the site. There will be tight integration with the social networks so that other people might join in.

This being a serious issue, I am not sure whether the evidences will lead to any actions against the culprits, but at least people will learn about them being corrupt and the fear of possible notoriety might put some on the right path.

This site can be popular regionally, and might be expanded to other countries because corruption is an evil that needs to be eradicated. In India, people love to have a say in such things and I am quite sure this idea will gain popularity and will be a small step to bring India on the right track.

Wanna make money with your website?


Original Post: Winners of the Website Ideas Contest

0 comments:

Post a Comment