Ads 468x60px

Shoemoney - Skills To Pay The Bills

Shoemoney - Skills To Pay The Bills

Link to ShoeMoney

I Fried My iPhone 6 Plus (Be Careful of 3rd Party Cables)

Posted: 12 Oct 2015 06:00 AM PDT

A couple weeks ago I was starting a trip for Denver.  As always I got to the airport very early to get some work done before the flight.

I took out my laptop and went to plug in my phone.  Damnit I forgot my charging cable.

Luckily (I thought), they sold them in the airport gift shop.  And damn only $5.  Sweet.

So I plugged my phone to my computer via this cable and all worked fine.

During the flight I plugged it into my portable battery and noticed it just held its charge but didn’t go up.  Ok whatever.

I got to my hotel late,  plugged in my iPhone, and crashed.

I woke up at 6am to an unmistakeable smell of electrical components burning.  I looked at the floor where my iPhone was charging and it was smoking.  I unplugged the cable and ripped it out of my phone.  The cable was completely melted and the bottom of my iPhone was black and super hot.  Smell was horrible.

Weird thing,  despite all this, the phone still worked.  Maybe there was hope.  So I used a friend’s Apple iPhone cable but the phone didn’t even acknowledge there was one plugged in…  Great.

So I hit the Apple store in the Cherry Creek Mall with my fried iPhone.  Apple dude took one look at it and said, “Ok well not the first one I have seen let me grab you a new phone”.  And that was it.

I restored and all was well.

Bottom line.  Although Apple’s stuff is crazy overpriced, be careful.

Thank god the 6 plus wasn’t even a year old so their was no warranty issues.

Not my actual phone.  Image from here

Not my actual phone. Image from

0 comments:

Post a Comment