Ads 468x60px

Writing Clinic Wrap-Up - DailyBlogTips

Writing Clinic Wrap-Up - DailyBlogTips


Writing Clinic Wrap-Up

Posted: 25 Apr 2014 11:12 AM PDT

Many thanks to all the bloggers who took part in Writing Clinic over the past couple of months.

It was great fun reading all the posts, and I was impressed by the consistently high standard … clearly DBT readers know a thing or two. :-)

Today, I wanted to take a look at some of the common lessons learned from these posts, which I hope will help you with your own blogging.

First, though, here’s a list of all the Writing Clinics, in case you missed one over the past few weeks:

Writing Clinic #1: Busta's post

Writing Clinic #2: Raspal Seni's post

Writing Clinic #3: Alison J. Green's Post

Writing Clinic #4: Maria Nedeva's Post

Writing Clinic #5: Tom Roelandts' Post

Writing Clinic #6: Denise Hisey's Post

Here’s what was consistently done well:

#1: Strong, Clear Titles

Overall, I felt that our Writing Clinic bloggers did a fantastic job with their blog post titles. While I had a few tweaks to suggest in some cases, the titles had clearly all had some thought put into them.

Learn more:  [Mistakes #1] Five Common Title Mistakes – and How to Fix Them

#2: Calls to Action

One of the key mistakes I see when coaching bloggers is that they miss out the call to action at the end of a post. I was particularly pleased that this wasn't a problem in Writing Clinic, with most of these bloggers crafting good calls to action, often with an invitation to comment.

Learn more: How to Add a Call to Action to Your Post

#3: Subheadings / Structure

Another problem I often see is a lack of structure, particularly with long posts that aren't broken into sections. All the posts I looked at for Writing Clinic were well-structured, with a clear and logical flow of ideas, and they included subheadings where appropriate.

Learn more: How to Structure Your Posts (and Why You Need To)

 

Here are the key areas where I ended up suggesting tweaks:

#1: Introductions

Introductions are really tough to get right, and overall, the Writing Clinic bloggers did a good job here. In my critiques, though, I did notice that Busta was missing an introduction, and Alison had gone the other way, having an overly long introduction.

Learn more: Three Easy but Powerful Ways to Start Your Blog Post

#2: Minor Formatting Changes

Although the general standard of formatting was very good, with bullet points, bold text, images, heading styles and links being used well, I did pick up a few minor points. I suggested that Denise avoided blue or underlining for links and that Raspal could use more than a single word for his links, where possible.

Learn more: Four Quick Ways to Improve Any Blog Post

#3: Proofreading

All bloggers make minor mistakes from time to time … and I've seen typos on some huge blogs (it's not stopped me reading them). Again, the general standard was really high, though I spotted a few typos for Maria, and noticed a tiny one in Tom's post.

Learn more: Easy Five Step Plan for Editing Your Blog Posts

 

I'd love to hear what you learned from Writing Clinic: is there a particular lesson you'll be applying to your own blogging? Let us know in the  comments.

Wanna learn how to make more money with your website? Check the Online Profits training program!


0 comments:

Post a Comment