Ads 468x60px

Using W3 Total Cache? Careful with Your Configurations - DailyBlogTips

Using W3 Total Cache? Careful with Your Configurations - DailyBlogTips


Using W3 Total Cache? Careful with Your Configurations

Posted: 29 Aug 2013 06:56 AM PDT

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing this blog and I noticed that I managed to access one of the posts without a trailing slash at the end of the permalink. That is, I managed to open it both as:

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/post-title-here/

and

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/post-title-here

I was worried, because technically those are two different pages, and Google does follow this technical detail. In other words, if Google was to crawl both versions of the permalink it would consider them as two pages with the exact same content, which is considered duplicate content and not good for your site’s reputation.

One page of duplicate content won’t harm your site too much, but if every single post you have has two versions it becomes a big problem, one which could harm your search rankings, so I had to fix it.

Initially I was puzzled, as WordPress does fix this problem out of the box with a redirect. That is, if you install a fresh WordPress install and tries to open domain.com/post-title it will automatically redirect you to domain.com/post-title/.

Then I figured that the only plugin I had which was dealing with permalinks and redirections was W3 Total Cache. Sure enough when I researched about it online I discovered that depending on your server settings if you use the “Disk Enhanced” method for page caching it will create this trailing slash problem.

The solution was easy, change from “Disk Enhanced” to “Disk Basic”.

If you are using this plugin (which is pretty good overall), therefore, I recommend that you try to access your posts without the final trailing slash. If you get redirected to the version with trailing slash you are fine. If you don’t, try the fix above.

Wanna learn how to make more money with your website? Check the Online Profits training program!


Original Post: Using W3 Total Cache? Careful with Your Configurations

0 comments:

Post a Comment