Ads 468x60px

Shoemoney - Skills To Pay The Bills

Shoemoney - Skills To Pay The Bills

Link to ShoeMoney

Don’t worry everything will be ok (GTFO)

Posted: 31 Dec 2015 11:11 AM PST

Do you surround yourself with people that have no experience with what you are doing but are always giving you positive reinforcement?

Thats one of the most toxic things.

I have seen this be the downfall for a lot of affiliates.

Have you ever have a friend who is grinding it in his day job 9-5 say, “Holy shit dude you made a X THIS year. You deserve that Ferrari/Lambo that you have always wanted. You should get this house! You deserve it cause you work so hard! You are living the dream!!!”.

And then next year when your thing you were promoting is done and you are looking for the next thing… and your ass deep in monthly payments… the same guy is like, “Yo dude don’t worry about it. You’re brilliant and everything will be ok”.

When I started I was the biggest tightass ever. A couple years later when I was profiting 7 figures a year I was actually the biggest tightass. When I would goto Vegas for pubcon, affiliate summit, etc, I would fly to vegas on the cheapest flight… even if it was 3 stops. The Stratosphere was my hotel. $40-$60 a night rooms… with McDonalds on the 2nd floor open 24/7. Awesome.

But the thing was I had JUST moved to Nebraska when I started. I had ZERO friends.

Fast forward a couple years… actually 5 years. I just had just sold my company AuctionAds for millions.

At this time I had some friends though. Most of them physicians that worked with my wife. These guys were living lifestyles that were 10x expensive as mine.

All were totally amazed at what I was doing. I mean cmon.. At that time there were a handful of the “Super Affiliates” in the world let alone in Nebraska.

The difference for me compared to most affiliates was I had a huge winfall in selling AuctionAds so I had a big lump of sum put away. But anyway….

I started getting all these postive omg your so awesome, you got it figured out, why don’t you buy this or this or this.

I was now paying for first class airfare everywhere, Staying in the penthouse at the Wynn. And when I got the Amex Black Card… forget about it.

Now I don’t have the downer story that I have heard from other affiliates… I still have never lost money in being in business for 14 years now.

I wrote recently about how I tried to be something that I am not for a while… and as I said in that I do not regret it. However, with that said, I wanted to call that company quits for a LONG time. But I kept getting these “Ahh cmon your the man, Don’t worry everything will be ok, etc, etc.”

Unless you have been there as an affiliate you have no clue what a roller coaster ride it is.

Taking advice from a plumber who tells ya how awesome you are and how you should do all this when you just made more in a month than he makes in a year is just stupid.

But I got caught up in it.

I have to say I never got too caught up in the lifestyle change enough to buy expensive cars or an insane house (well to be honest a million bucks in Nebraska gets you a pretty good house).

Key people that have given me the best advice that really put me on the right course several times were Michael Sprouse (former CMO Playboy & AzoogleAds), Alex Zhardanasky (AzoogleAds Founder), Jason Akatiff (ads4dough founder), and other similar people.

But this doesn’t really just cover financial stuff… Also marital issues or other life issues.

Anyway my point is look around at people you are taking advice from people that have never actually done what your doing. Make some friends that are.

0 comments:

Post a Comment