Ads 468x60px

Shoemoney - Skills To Pay The Bills

Shoemoney - Skills To Pay The Bills

Link to ShoeMoney

Can you handle the truth? & ShoeMoney November Recap

Posted: 02 Dec 2014 08:26 AM PST

As always if you just want to get to the posts in November just skip to the bottom.

Well already through November. I did some fun stuff. Got married (again) to my wife in Vegas. Was a total surprise. Really nice and well done by my wife. It’s not easy to surprise me. Normally I smell a rat a while away but I was completely surprised. I also went and drove Ferrari’s and saw a bunch of shows.

My wife and friends left and I stuck around to speak at the Ungagged conference. It was their first show and it was really awesome. Reminded me of the first Pubcon’s and SES shows. Both attendees and speakers really knew there shit and I made a lot of great new friends and contacts. Good stuff. Looking forward to their next show in Europe this spring/summer.

Can you handle the truth?

Last Friday a company called Boost Software got hammered by the FTC. They seized all assets and stuff. Neverblue affiliate network is also involved but because they are in Canada not sure if they will be named or not.

I don’t even want to link to the case or talk much about it because its taking away a bit from the point I wanted to make in this post. I will be doing a writeup on it just was waiting to hear back from a few sources that know the inside scoop.

Today everyone is making products and selling them. Marketing them in various ways. Some might be misleading…. Seth Godin wrote a book called All Marketers Are Liars. Awesome book and the truth. It had a lot of controversy though in the title and he eventually changed it to All Marketers Are Story tellers. He talks about it when he was a guest on my radio show many years ago.

Basically its the truth. I am a hardcore realist. Marketing is basically getting people to take action on something they wouldn’t normally do. So as marketers we create visions of what this product can do for the customer.

Now, as I have written numerous times, I know the fact is that probably 2% of people that pay buy my ShoeMoney training products will actually take action and do anything with it.

I reluctantly accept that..

But lets look at companies who’s business model is praying on man kinds weaknesses. The best example I can use is a gym membership.

I was talking to the owner of a local gym and he was telling me typically they oversell subscriptions to about 2000%. That means that if a small percentage of people paying a monthly fee for their gym membership actually used it, they could not fulfill what people were paying for.

Is having a business model that prays on people’s weaknesses bad?

Ok let me bring up something else that most people just accept but don’t ever think about.

Lets say I had a company that you could pay me monthly and on average lost 90% of your monthly money.

NO IM SERIOUS follow a long.

AND lets say that if you did one month get your money back then I am going to ensure that you loose more in the future.

AND AND lets say that I get the government to force you to participate in my gambling (essentially) program and fine you if you don’t participate.

That is auto insurance.

Thats just 2 basic examples that most consumers never think about. I could go on forever about existing accepted business models and other things that are obviously not good for the consumer.

Here is the point I am trying to make. You have seen and will continue to see FTC investigations into online marketing companies for a variety of reasons. The ground work is being laid down now. Eventually some of whats considered “deceptive” practices will be accepted in the future and what is considered not good for the consumer will be a common practice that people just accept.

Anyway have a great December and a safe holiday. Dont drink and drive!

Nov-03 09:09:50 – Join us tomorrow with “I’m John Chow Bitch” @JohnChow (7 comments) John Chow. A blogger who went from doing it for free to turning his website into a multi-million dollar business. John Chow dot com is one of the biggest blogs on the internet and has 250,000 active…[more]

Nov-05 08:43:09 – Life After Affiliate Marketing – ShoeMoney October Recap (12 comments) This is the October ShoeMoney Recap.  As always if you want to skip my normal F.R.A.T (f#ck reading all that) then just scroll to the bottom to see the posts from October. If you have been following along you know that I have had a lot of cha…[more]

Nov-07 00:02:20 – @BuySellAds…buys and sells ads! ShoeMoney FSF (6 comments) Free Shirt Friday! This week’s shirt is from BuySellAds. You guessed it! They buy and sell ads! For online companies. Check them out here. …[more]

Nov-10 08:55:10 – Affiliate marketing and more with Zac Johnson on the ShoeMoney show (9 comments) Zac Johnson has a blog where he talks in pieces about how he?s made millions from affiliate marketing. But you can tune in to the ShoeMoney Show and hear his story all at once, in an interactive way TOMORROW, November 11th at 2p…[more]

Nov-11 09:54:18 – Reminder â€" Tune in TODAY! (6 comments) Reminder for you not to forget to tune in to the ShoeMoney Show for special guest, Zac Johnson TODAY at 2pm PST / 5pm EST. Zac is a pioneer in the internet marketing world. He?s been an online entrepreneur for 18 yea…[more]

Nov-17 09:35:50 – Learn how to be a Founder, President, CEO and much more @isaldana (11 comments) Our next ShoeMoney Show is streaming live tomorrow, November 18 at 2p.m PST/  5p.m EST. via Web Master Radio. Tune in because our guest this week has a lot under his belt, especially for as…[more]

Nov-21 09:00:56 – Free Books and More does just that! ShoeMoney SFS @FreeBooksAndMor (6 comments) This week’s Free Shirt Friday comes at you from Free Books and More. They give out free books…and more. They offer books are bargain prices and sometimes for free for promotional reasons (more readers equals more reviews …[more]

Nov-26 12:00:37 – To sell or NOT to sell??? (2 comments) Black Friday has been creeping into Thursday, Thanksgiving day, for a few years now. Each year, business owners must make this moral decision: Keep closed on Thursday and preserve the stay-at-home, forget-about-work traditions of the American holiday O…[more]

Nov-27 11:59:48 – No better time than to give thanks! (4 comments) I love the simple tradition of Thanksgiving — giving thanks. We can give thanks any day of the year, but as crazy as life is, it?s good that we have the one day a year to actively think about what we are lucky to have. First off, I?m thankful to l…[more]

Nov-28 13:59:26 – @affiliatesummit has a cool t-shirt – ShoeMoney FSF (2 comments) Affiliate Summit is the giant of all marketing conferences, so it makes sense that their t-shirt is sweet. It’s free for you today on Free Shirt Friday. …[more]

0 comments:

Post a Comment